Lately, WordPress announced that WordPress 5.9 Beta 4 is available for testing. With this announcement, we are nearing the timeline of the WordPress 5.9 final release.
Meanwhile, the release of WordPress 5.9 was initially scheduled for December month. However, as the project was already running behind, the developers decided that it is better to delay the project than to release the features in haste. So the release of the next major version of the popular CMS has been postponed to January 25, 2022.
Additionally, WordPress in its blog post advises that the software is still in the development stage. So users are advised to install and test this beta version on a test site rather than testing it on a production site.
Having said that, let’s see changes in WordPress 5.9 Beta 4:
WordPress 5.9 Beta 4 Highlights
- Bundled Theme: Fixed duplicate CSS rules in Twenty Twenty-One theme.
- Customizer: It’s possible to switch to a block theme from within Customizer.
- Themes: Provide guidance to users seeking to preview block themes on WordPress versions below 5.9.
- REST API: The get_theme_item method should respect fields param.
- Editor: Block Patterns: “Featured” category & patterns missing from inserter.
- Login and registration: Add a filter to allow to disable the Login screen language dropdown.
In the meantime, WordPress enthusiasts can test WordPress 5.9 Beta 4 in three ways:
- Install and enable the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (Select the Bleeding edge channel and Beta/RC only stream)
- Directly download the .Zip file of the beta version
- Use the WP-CLI, to Uprgrade from Beta 1, Beta 2 or Beta 3 to Beta 4. Use the following command sequentially:
wp core update --version=5.9-beta4
wp core update --version=5.9-beta4 --force
For more Technology News, subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest updates from the various tech industries.